Saturday, July 07, 2007

Meet Stanley and Carl!


Here is Stanley Skeleton, my sculpture of the skeleton of a human man, named for alliteration. This was done for an anatomy class I'm in right now called Imaginatomy. The class was invented and is taught by Rey Bustos, and is a lot of fun.


We start the term learning human anatomy and sculpting the human skeleton. Stanley's left (our right) will remain just bones, but his right side (our left) is sculpted to support muscles, once I get time to put them on.




Here is the wire armature for Stanley's pet Xiphodont, Carl. Carl is my Imaginatomy project, a fictional creature created from the inside out. We had to design an animal, then figure out what its skeleton would be. Again, half will remain skeletal and the other half will be sculpted to accept muscles, time permitting. Eventually, a diorama will be constructed around Carl and will display his adaptive traits and such. I regret not having posted my progress of Stanley, so I will post the various steps of Carl's evolution from wire to skeleton. The wire armature as it appears here is still a work in progress, but I'll post pictures of the finished armature once it's done.

Here is the skeleton design for Carl. It is a combination of rhinoceros, elephant, cow, bear, and sabre-toothed tiger anatomy. I don't have an indication of scale in this drawing, but a full-grown man would be able to stand comfortably beneath Carl's head. Well, as comfortably as you could with those giant tusks...

No comments: